Monday, August 15, 2011

Rustic Modern Master Bedroom


The master bedroom reflects a homeowner's decorating style in a more personal way than any other room of the house. It is also the space where we go to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. This space should serve a number of functions, provide comfort, storage and restful sleep. All while expressing your personality.   
In designing any space, I often look to inspiration pictures in magazines, flyers, hotel lobbies, Home Decor stores, Pinterest and home decor blogs. I save images, cut-outs and ideas that I find inspirational or would like to see in one of my spaces in a large folder.  After considering many styles, we have decided on a rustic barn meets downtown feel for our master suite. I have tried to create this look before with my pallet project seen here.
Generally, the rustic modern style attempts to incorporate the clean lines of modern design and add texture with rustic elements throughout. I put together a basic moodboard to show some of the elements that I would like to use.  The accent wall will be real wood, stained in a dark walnut colour which will be juxtaposed with our neutral wall colour which is grey with brown undertones. I will bring in natural elements and fibres such as cotton, burlap, linen and tumbleweed to bring the barn lifestyle into this urban apartment. For colours; brown, whites and green will serve to complement the rustic elements while using stripes on accent pillows and trims will mimic the clean lines of modern design.
 There are a few limitations within this space that I have to work with. One, I have a resin wicker Queen bedframe with a headboard and footboard that I must somehow incorporate into this design. Second, to optimize the space, I must incorporate the large window and the window frame into the accent wall design which will serve as the backdrop for the headboard of the bed frame. I want to center the bed with the window so that there is balance and symmetry within the room. In this way, any lighting fixture will be centered on top of the bed. An absolute necessity is to change out the builder-grade ceiling mount light will be changed out because one they are ugly and two I hate them. Since I cannot start from scratch, I have to accommodate these limitations effectively. This is a welcome challenge.

Here is the mood board, its still a work in progress but I am very excited to take on this challenge:

Pictures courtesy of:

Lantern Chandelier: http://pinksugarshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=398&osCsid=e8912529ccfc2f688a8d7e71fe6925c7
Accent Wall:http://amanda-designdevotee.blogspot.com/2011/04/wall-of-wood.html
Burlap cushion: http://texasyankee-calli.blogspot.com/2010/04/burlap-its-not-just-for-sack-of.html
Coffee table: http://www.furniturefashion.com/2008/06/02/drake_classic_modern_coffee_table.html
Woven Lattice Table Lamps: www.kaboodle.com 

Upholstered Chairs: http://morewaystowastetime.blogspot.com/2008/07/objects-of-lust-burlap-upholstered.html
Wicker Bed frame/Side Table: http://www.seasonalhomedecoration.com/wicker-bedroom-suite-by-accente-new-wicker-furniture-trend/

No comments:

Post a Comment