Thursday, July 28, 2011

Guest Bedroom continued...Quartrefoil Upholstered Headboard

Previously, our guest bedroom was designed in a black and white colour scheme complete with a large black mirror placed above the bed, white and silver candlebra lamps and two toned rod pocket panels. This colour scheme was stark and uninviting. I had even tried to DIY a cross-hatched pattern onto the Aspelund Bedframe from Ikea with white molding and black acrylic paint but the complete effect was not desirable to say the least.

So I went back to the drawing board. I knew that I wanted to add a feminine touch to the guest bedroom. Nurturance and comfort are often associated with femininity. Therefore I believe the feel of a guest bedroom should reflect these characteristics. As a host, my goal is to make my guest feel pampered and rejuvenated while staying at my home.  To create this ambiance, I knew that I had to inject some colour into the room.  Following the design cues of Candice Olson, I decided that I wanted an upholstered headboard to add comfort to the room.

This was surprisingly easy to achieve with the Aspelund bedframe.  I measured out the inserts and it just so turned out that I had two upholstered squares that would fit these insets. These two 2 x2 upholstered squares were handed down to me by extended family. I had previously covered them in a nautical inspired fabric and used them as a wall hanging in my previous home. I removed the previous fabric, and recovered the squares in a gorgeous Quartrefoil outdoor fabric I found at the local Fabric land. The Quartrefoil was available in a number of colours such as beige, dark brown and kiwi green. Since green is my favourite colour, I just went for it. 
 Recovering the squares was quite simple. I bought 1 meter of this outdoor fabric for 5$ and stapled the fabric onto the upholstered squares.   With this step complete, we attached the upholstered squares into the insets with regular one-inch screws from the back of the headboard. One screw on each corner of each upholstered square.


 An interesting note is that the colour green, especially natural tones like forest and lime greens have a refreshing effect on a person’s wellbeing. Being that it is a colour commonly encountered in the natural world, where we often find peace and tranquility, it is the ideal backdrop in interior design. I hope that this room with its small doses of green can bring peace and harmony for all our guests. 

Here is the headboard before we painted the insets with a simple white semi-gloss paint:
and here it is after the white insets and the upholstered squares installed.

I have one more step to show you in the guest bedroom redesign and you will finally see the reveal. But until then I leave you with these wise words from Nicholas Sparks' novel "A Walk to Remember"

True love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it!

No comments:

Post a Comment