Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My First Fall Mantel



I have decided to link up! After looking at all of your fall mantels on The Lettered Cottage Fall Mantel Party, I am so inspired, Its amazing what everyone has created. Looking forward to next year when I can take some of your pointers. I especially love all of the owl accents and black and white colour schemes found all over the blogosphere.
I completed my first fall mantel this weekend. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, the console table next to my fireplace is our makeshift mantle. To add a backdrop and add further architectural interest on this side of the room, I started with a simple barn door backdrop. I loved the chipped paint and aged wood so no sanding, staining or painting was required.  The barn door was easy to create. I will fill you in on the How to later this week. Next the grapevine wreath hung over top of the backdrop for visual interest. 

I changed out the candleholders on either side for the dark ones. I feel it helps to ground the whole mantel scape. I wrapped some simple white candles with some Dollar store jute rope to add an autumn feel. I knew I wanted to use my pumpkin tureen in the mantel scape. It has such a beautiful colour scheme perfect for September. So I flanked one side with the pumpkin tureen and added a nice spaghetti squash to carry the colour around the mantel. The Autumn Harvest season needs those pops of orange and yellow. The faux Bartlett pears added balance and sparkle to both sides of the mantel scape. Finally I topped the whole mantel scape with some much needed colour with real oranges that have already been devoured. Isn’t it amazing how simply having some fruit in front of you can  encourage you to eat it?
From this experience, I have learned to use what I have around the house, even produce to add colour and design to my vignettes.
Another angle towards the fireplace/TV combo

I’m linking up to It’s Fall Ya’ll Autumn Link Party!

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job! I love the barn wood & simplicity of the wreath with it! Love it :) Visiting from Lettered Cottage

    ReplyDelete