Friday, September 2, 2011

Painting Ceramic Flatware

I want to embrace colour into my home design. I'm not quite ready to mix colours but adding one accent colour into a space is completely doable. Ive done it in my guest bedroom and now I want to inject colour into my dark kitchen. See my cabinets are black brown, couple this with a dark granite countertop and a windowless kitchen and you have a recipe for a dark space.Until recently, I had not found an accent colour that I love for my kitchen space. Most of the time, any accent colour I chose would not be bright enough for this space. So I stuck to the traditional stainless steel and typical white option. But recently, while doing my weekly round at the HomeSense, I found these gorgeous blue tea and sugar canisters.

I instantly fell in love and brought them home. To carry the colour theme throughout the kitchen, I decided to repaint the oil/vinegar dispensers.   I zipped over to Michaels with canister in hand. I took it with me to colour match to craft paint. Guess what? I actually found the perfect colour. I brought home two bottles just in case.



To prepare for the painting, I cleaned the outside of both dispensers and let them dry overnight on the kitchen counter. Next I put the brush to the ceramic and after three coats of blue paint, the dispensers looked perfect. Then I finished them off with two thin coats of clear spray paint.
I actually learned this lesson the hard way, when I tried to wash the paint off to test and it actually came off. Oops! Using clear spray paint was a tip I learned from my friend who has painted her ceramic planters before.

Original- Before

After one layer
After Three Layers
To paint your own ceramic flatware you will need:
1.       Desired Flatware
2.       Craft acrylic paint (mine were 69 cents each on sale)
3.       Clear Spray Paint (I used Rustoleum Brand from Home Depot-  $5.89)

Final Product:
After- Oil/Vinegar Dispensers

Voila! The canisters are ready! I plan to use chalkboard paint for labelling the bottles in the near future to complete the look.
Warning: Do not apply this treatment to surfaces where food will be in direct contact. I only painted the outside but the inside remains untainted. Also after the final spraying, leave the flatware to dry in a well-ventilated area for a few days before displaying.

No comments:

Post a Comment