Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chef's Salad

Ok so no tablescape or kijiji chair redone yet, Im working on both but just a little behind schedule. The chair is sanded and stained and waiting for upholstery while the table scape is designed but the implementation is pending. But I just wanted to give you a sneak peak into my hubbies lunchbox for tomorrow's work day.

A fantastic chef's salad. I had a revelation on Wednesday evening that I just do not serve enough vegetables and fruits. And we overload on carbs. I am dead set on changing this. This hearty salad contains bright greens, protein and dairy and it packs a punch of energy. It is really quite simple and my husband is actually excited to eat his lunch.

Mmmm.... turkey bacon
I started with one layer of chopped cucumber, one layer of chopped roma tomatoes (cherry tomatoes would be so lovely here), layer of shredded cheese, layer of black beans, layer of romaine lettuce (dark greens), three cheese ranch dressing, one layer of TURKEY bacon and  finally one egg boiled and sliced. I omitted the yolk to use for my son's breakfast. Finally, I cracked some black pepper over top to season. My Hubbie actually hates the taste of egg so this last step is a must in our home. If you leave the layers until you are ready to eat, this meal is a treat for the eyes and your taste buds.

layer by layer!


Topping it all of with some freshly cracked black pepper!
For the other man in my life, more specifically my son "E", I served a fruit yogourt parfait this morning. He was especially loving the texture of the fruit sauce. This was such an easy recipe I made up on the fly. I put about one cup of frozen summer fruit from Europe's Best in a sauce pan with about three-five tablespoons of water. once the fruit starts melting and the mixture comes to a boil, add one tablespoon of cornstarch premixed with cold water into the mixture and stir. The sauce will thicken as it is heated further for a few minutes. Pour the fruit sauce at the bottom of a glass bowl. Top with about 1/2 cup of Caramel Yogourt (Balkan Style) and finally a generous sprinkling of All Bran Cereal on top. Mix the layers and enjoy. E was eating it up like nobody's business. Nothing makes a mother more happy than a healthy baby!
On another note, isn't it funny how as the children get older, we give them cereals and meals packed with sugar and bad fats. Why is that? Why can't we maintain this high standard of health concern and care for our children's nutrition even when they are children, tweens and teens. Its just as important.
I hope I can continue these healthy habits in the long run. Serving up a healthy menu is a tough task but I will consider it a great accomplishment if I maintain it.

Note: We use Balkan Style because it has 6% M.F. versus the other yogourts which only have 3% M.F. All that fat is soo important for children under the age of two.
Substitution: Another fruit yogourt can be used in place of Caramel yogourt. I will tell yyou that the Caramel yogourt tastes like heaven.   
For an adult version: Add chopped peanuts or almonds on top for an extra crunchy texture and flavour.
Cooked oatmeal instead of all bran cereal would also be a great substitution.


No comments:

Post a Comment