Monday, November 7, 2011

Free Antique Chest of Drawers

So I’m back with my thrift store update. We were able to hit about 7 stores within Calgary so not bad for only three hours. I stuck to my game and went straight to the furniture sections in each store and got right out of there when I was done. Unfortunately the furniture selection was a bust. But I did get a little something. Apart from a rustic orange throw from Fabricland from their Sew Amazing Fabric Event, I also scored a chest of drawers from the free section on Kijiji. Yes thats right! Free.

Its in pretty decent shape. Only the top is a little chipped which is easily fixed with a little wood filler, sanding and staining. The drawers have these gorgeous pulls which I am torn on reusing for the current furniture piece or repurposing for another.  I also love that its vintage. The person giving it away said it was atleast 60 years old which for me is gold since I don’t own anything thats more than three years old. I want to refinish it as soon as possible, and rest assured you will be the first to know. The stain colour that I want to use has a sort of orange tinge to it often seen on Acacia wood pieces like this one:
Source: http://www.alibaba.com/industry-promotion/mirror-nightstand-side-table-industry-promotion.html


I also like the varied tone approach for staining. This is another sideboard that is oh so inspiring and is similar to the look I want to recreate. With the modern drawers pulls, these rustic furniture pieces would be fantastic in my living room.

Source: http://www.urbanbarn.com/products/Furniture/Dining-Room/Sideboards-and-Cabinets/post-and-rail-sideboard/554
Source: http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/111545580/wooden_hutch_dresser_cabinet_indian_wooden.html







So far, I have finished the first coat of sanding.  It took me about three hours to sand it down over the course of three days so now staining and distressing is in order.  A lot of work still remains, with another sanding cycle in between coats of stain. For now, I have to be satisfied with the fact that this project will cost next to nothing with the finished product looking like something out of a magazine.
See you next time!
Ameera

No comments:

Post a Comment