Thursday, January 5, 2012

Todays recipe is for a fantastic Breakfast Smoothie...


Whoops! One day Late but you'll have to forgive me, I've been helping my brother with sectional shopping! I'll be showing you the moodboard next week, I havent quite completed it yet!



Enough about that, and let's get on to Cuisine Week!


This fruit smoothie is full of Vitamin C, Calcium and loads of energy.  A few years back I went through a low-carb phase.  Apart from working out, I reduced my carbs to complex carbohydrates only, so potato, rice, and white bread were completely out. I substituted with oatmeal, 100% whole wheat bread and vegetables. It was a very tough six weeks. As you know, I am east indian and rice is a part of almost every meal! Nonetheless I got through it and got to my goal weight of 105 pounds... which seems small but because I am only 5 feet tall, it makes sense for my stature.
To make up for the energy loss associated with low-carb diets, I drank a lot of smoothies to keep my body active. I believe that if you drink smoothies in moderation and make healthier choices for the ingredients, they really cannot hurt.
 I've tried out a few other recipes from the internet but adjusted the recipe for myself so that I can use healthier ingredients. But it definitely tastes like you are indulging. If you decide to try it out, be sure to leave me a comment to let me know what you think.
Disclaimer: The 3% milk adds a creamy texture and richness to the smoothie but you are more than welcome to substitute only 1% milk for a lighter option. 

You will need:
5 tablespoons of Minute Maid Real Orange Juice from Concentrate (I use the unsweetened variety)
3/4 cup of 1% milk/3% milk combo (I did Half/Half)
1/2 cup of Orange Juice (Freshly squeezed, this time around)
1/8 cup of honey
1/4 tsp Vanilla
8 ice cubes

Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend away!
Enjoy this cool and refreshing drink with almost no guilt! We used honey after all!
 See you tomorrow!
Ameera


P.S. Next time, I'll try it with Vanilla Yogurt, I'll omit the Vanilla extract and the 3% milk, but keep half of the 1% milk, just to see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment