Friday, April 13, 2012

Grey-washed Sofa Table


I took a foray into the paint washing world. I refinished another piece of furniture with a grey wash last week. I am loving this new painting technique. Its so easy!
The furniture piece is a sofa table that I scored on Kijiji for 10$. The refinishing was inspired by this table from Benjamin Moore. I love this shade of grey and especially the sort of glazed antiqued look. First let's talk about the table.
It features turned and ornate legs, bevelled glass insets and cane mesh lower shelf. It really has a lot of character and if I had a larger home, I would definitely keep it.

 P.S. Sorry about this terrible picture, I snapped it before we loaded the sofa table into our vehicle but completely forgot to snap some more in daylight.
Suffice it to say, it was an oak-stained disaster with brass trim at the time.

The refinishing was as simple as a light sand, priming and finally grey washing. To create a paint wash, I just referenced online and the recipe consists of mixing 1 part paint and 1 part water. After the initial coat of grey wash dried, I sanded down the edges with fine sand paper and followed by another coat of the grey wash. Then followed by another light sand to expose some of the white underneath. Wipe off with a damp cloth. Finally, the last coat of polyurethane using a sponge brush. The glossy coat creates such a beautiful finish.
This is me applying the poly! Excuse my hair!

Look closely, half has poly and the other is the raw paint wash!


It looks best when the sun sets, it has a warm feel. 
See the white peeking through! I love that!

The cane mesh is full of character!

No comments:

Post a Comment