Saturday, April 21, 2012

Pinterest inspired upcycle

In honour of Earth Day, I have decided to share with you an upcycle that I am especially proud of. This is the story of my upcycled CD art.
It all started when I was doing a little spring cleaning last month and freshening up our spaces. One of the things that I wanted to freshen up was this Ikea Hemnes mirror that I've had for ages. First I went to selling it.

I wasn't getting much more than 20 dollars for it, a complete waste in my opinion since 7 years ago it cost way more.  So my next idea was to paint it white to match the living room and place it above the sofa. It was painted black previously. So there I painted it white to match our baseboards.

Then one day, I was pinning on pinterest, when I came across a very attractive above the sofa art piece which I thought I could recreate. Here it is, if you want to take a look at the inspiration.
But then I reconsidered because circles are hard to stencil and it is beyond my ability as I have learned over the last few projects so it was back to the drawing board. But then, I came across about 30 music cds which were scratched up and ready for the garbage bin in a box deep inside our storage space. And that was the Eureka moment. These cds would be the perfect circles for my large scale art piece!



I painted the smooth side of the board that sits behind the mirror in the same white as the frame and the cds in the colours of the living room, orange, brown, meadowlark grey and one very soft mint colour and a few coats later and they were looking so cool.



I spaced the cds in such a way that I was able to fit 24 comfortably. The cds were glued on with No-More-Nails.
Let dry for atleast a day, then hang your artwork and enjoy!


there are multiple reasons why i love this project, and yes i will tell you the reasons:
1. It is a large piece of art, if I had purchased it even from Homesense it would have cost me up to 75$.
2. All of the colours of the living room are reinforced because I used leftover paints.
3. The circular motif is reinforced from the twig balls, the drum shade of  our statement lamp, our roundback chairs and our circle patterned cushions.


4. This whole project cost me absolutely nothing because all of the supplies were already on hand. How awesome is that!
5. what better way to celebrate our planet, than reusing what you already have and steering some garbage away from the landfills. This is an upcycle for the books!
 Here's the before and after!



Are you planning on making CD art of your own? I would love to see your version!

Thank you savvyhomeblog for the awesome inspiration!

1 comment: