Thursday, October 20, 2011

Revived Round Back Chairs

Remember those two round backs I was beaming about a month and half ago. Well, they sat there and sat there until about two weeks ago. Then we got down to business and finished the whole ‘symmetrical’ look. They are finally done and they loom great in their final resting spot.




 But first let's talk about the revival. First there was the deconstruction and sanding which might I add took my hubbie over three and half hours per chair. Yes thats right! Three and half hours. Its only worth it when you look at them. I always make him do the sanding, I just can't stand all that sawdust.



Here is one, all deconstructed and ready for sanding.
I stained them out with a classic black stain. This is where I learned my lesson. This chair is most likely made of a soft wood because the stain just soaked right in. After the whole staining process was done, they looked patent black and absolutely no wood grain showed through. So I hated them for a few days  and I decided the only solution was a resand and restain. Then it came to me, patina. I’ve always loved the look of worn furniture, especially when its juxtaposed with modern clean lines. Its such a nice mix. So patina it was.


I went to sanding each chair to a sort of dull lustre and took a really fine grit sand paper to the natural edges. Mainly around the arm ends, leg detailing, and curved back. I used a walnut stain in these spots to add a nice brown highlight. After so many days of waiting and work, the whole look of the chair and vignette is priceless.



Now for the upholstery. Deconstruction was simple and in fact the upholstery job was also simple. Since the back of the chair is not fabric, it did not take so long. But I had to complete the piping. That took the longest time.
I removed the piping from the pre-existing upholstery and used the templates to create the same look for own. Essentially, unstitch the piping out, trace pattern onto new fabric and add piping into new fabric but let’s just say much easier said than done.





The solution i came up with by the end. Use a safety [in to secure the piping into the fabric by poking it right into the rubber. It holds it in place so its easier to keep under control. I learned this lesson the hard way. Then of course a bit of stapling on the seat and gluing the back of the chair and the look was complete.


 

















 What do you think? Are they alright? The piping job is not perfect but it will do and after so much time spent on two chairs, I am truly exhausted. So far everybody who has seen them has loved them.   Next up, the whole symmetry thing I hinted about a while back. I’ll reveal that look tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment