Monday, October 24, 2011

Symmetry in the Living Room

A view from the ground up!


I’m attracted to symmetry in every space. Call me traditional, but the look of two lamps and two matching side tables flanking each side of the bed is definitely my preference over an eclectic or asymmetrical set-up. Maybe it’s that each item has a partner or that the space feels whole.


My living room on the other hand is asymmetrical. Don’t get me wrong, the ceilings are gorgeous and I couldn’t be more lucky to have loft style ceilings in an 1100 square foot apartment but the placement of the fireplace wall and the balcony door are off center and the whole look is a bit odd. It took me almost two years and 5 different sets of furniture to get the symmetry right. All that purchasing, then returning or selling paid off though. I have finally achieved a look that is a showstopper.
And without further ado, I introduce you to my new window seating vignette.


This whole vignette came together quite easily and adds a touch of class and formality to my family room. Those are Billy Bookcases from Ikea with glass doors and one extension each. The glass doors were important to keep all the miscoloured DVDS and books from looking cluttered. Once those doors are closed, everything looks beautiful! This is the room we spend most of our time and entertain in so the look we were looking for had to be multipurpose. We needed a sophisticated space for entertaining but comfortable enough to cuddle together and watch a movie. The traditional balanced with the modern allows the room to remain casual enough for the main living space. The two chairs have added extra seating compared to the one armless chair from before and add a traditional touch. The rest of the room has a modern look with a sleek corduroy sectional and modern white console table. I call it classy casual. I still have to inject some color into the vignette but this is a great start. I left those shelves at the top empty to add some colorful sculpture or painting.

Picture with the warm filter
To give you an idea of the 18 feet ceilings and that's me!

No comments:

Post a Comment