Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Upcycling Sewing Bench


This is a simple post about the powers of upcycling. Upcycling is the process of converting an otherwise useless product or material into something usable. Upcycling furniture is basically taking old furniture and altering it to fit in with today’ s style. This helps us to save raw materials by decreasing the demand for new products to be made by the manufacturer and is budget conscious. Ultimately, reducing the use of new raw materials can result in a reduction of energy usage, pollution and even greenhouse gas emissions.
Upcycling is a win-win situation. Suffice it to say, I believe in upcycling everything that you can. I buy secondhand all the time, even construction materials. I needed some baseboards for framing out the plate glass mirror in my guest bath and I got it off Kijiji for next to nothing. I’m currently working on a design for our fireplace wall in the living room and I will be purchasing the MDF secondhand to save on cost and new materials.




As for furniture upcycling, check out this old, hideous, brass legged sewing bench. I scored this bench at a garage sale over the summer for 7 dollars. The fabric is aged, stained and downright disgusting but at the same time the shape of the bench is not bad. I bought this bench as a small gift for my mother so I really am so excited to restore it. I decided that paint would do the trick.
My inspiration was this lovely fabric which has a silky texture but holds up to wear and tear. It is actually one side of a reversible European Sham. Its partner is missing in action. The sham was an odd pillowcase my mom had lying in a box in the basement so I knew that she wouldn’t miss it if I 
took a piece. Well, I recovered the bench in this gorgeous fabric and primed and painted the base with this warm grey tone paint. 



Before and After Sewing Bench

The paint I already had on hand, its the paint on my walls. I will update you on the paint colour in the next few days. As for the reaction, my mom loved it! She loved the soft grey and the modern fabric. It now sits in the guest bedroom coordinating with the matching duvet and pillow shams on the bed. My mom sneaks it away every once in a while to complete her sewing projects, then puts it back in its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment